WELLESLEY, MA, – Shepley Bulfinch joins Wellesley College as the College marks the 100th anniversary of the Margaret Clapp Library with a reception and the opening of a retrospective photo exhibit at the library on October 21.
The original Library building was designed by the firm (then named Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge) in 1909 and funded in part by Andrew Carnegie. In 1975, it was named for Margaret Clapp, Wellesley’s eighth president (1949-66).
The cornerstone of the Classical Revival library was laid on June 5, 1909. The library opened to students on March 30, 1910, and was formally dedicated on June 13, 1910, the birthday of the Pauline Durant, wife of the College’s founder.
Shepley Bulfinch also completed additions and renovations to the library in 1917, 1957, and 1975, as well as creating the Knapp Media Center and carrying out a series of floor-by-floor renovations beginning in the late 1990s.
Clapp Library (1909) was Shepley Bulfinch’s first project for Wellesley College. In addition to the original library and its additions, the firm’s work on the campus includes Lake House (1912), Simpson Infirmary (1943); Bates and Freeman Halls (1959); McAfee Hall (1961); and Stone-Davis Hall (1965).